|Termin||7 sessions on Thursday from 14:30 - 18:00 h: |
03.11., 10.11., 17.11. and 24.11.2022
|Ort||campus Werderstr. 73|
|Entgelt||free of charge|
|Dozent:in||Mary Jacinta Musundi-Beez|
|Zur Person||Ms. Musundi-Beez is a part-time lecturer and has been teaching Intercultural Competence and Communication at HSB since 2015. She has a Masters Degree in Intercultural Work and Conflict Management from Alice Salomon University of Applied Sciences, Berlin and a Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology from University of Nairobi. She was a doctoral researcher in Sociology, University of Fort Hare, East London.|
|Kontakt||Kirstin Reil, firstname.lastname@example.org|
Introduction to culture:
- What is culture?
- our cultural self, complexities and diversities within our culture
Knowing other cultures:
- outlook to the world
- orientation and goals in education
- prejudices and stereotypes
- values and attitudes
- working with complexity
Culture, communication and developing inter-cultural skills:
- communicating effectively
- language and culture
Issues of integration:
- inclusion and exclusion
- identity and intergroup relations
- culture clashes
Intercultural competence, education and careers:
- embracing multiculturalism
The course addresses primarily international students from all faculties (Bachelor and Master), but other students are welcome.
This course aims to provide students with introductory knowledge of intercultural competence and communication. It will draw on theories of sociology, psychology, communication and cultural studies.
By the end of the course, students should be able to
- understand and accept the complexity of culture
- be able to understand issues of minority groups, prejudices and stereotypes
- understand issues of inter-cultural communication: barriers and aids
- understand and be able to cultivate appropriate knowledge, values and skills to be able to interact in cross cultural context
- be able to reflect on their own cultures and their experiences in Germany
The course will involve a mix of several methods of teaching. For all session, short inputs by the lecturer will be followed by exercises developed by the lecturer. These exercises will include individual work, group work and discussions.
if there is no login mask with fill-in fields under this paragraph, please try refreshing the webpage. If this does not help, you can also register for this course by sending an e-mail to: email@example.com
we need the following information:
course number, first and last name, address, course of study and matriculation number(if known)
Please excuse the inconveniences, we are working on the solution for this problem.
Thema: Intercultural Competence and Communication